A Re-Purposed Shutter Shelf for a Vintage, Rustic 3/4 Bath

September 10, 2014

I made a new shutter shelf for my 3/4 bathroom from a $4 thrift shop purchase.  $2 for the shutter, 


And $2 for this shelf.

I painted both of these pieces first with black paint, and then with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.

I distressed and waxed them with clear wax.

I screwed the shutter to the top of the shelf in two places, keeping them flush at the backs.  The shelf had a metal hanger attached to it already, but I couldn't get the shelf to hang straight and level, so I added the saw tooth type hanger at the very top of the shelf, just below the shutter.

I also added a plastic sticky bumper.  This was necessary to level the shelf as it hung lower in front than at the back.  I think I will add a more permanent wood shim or disk with glue and paint it Old White to give the shelf a more finished look from the side view.


Last weekend, I had painted the small vanity in Old White here, but I still wanted to replace the ugly glass shelf on the right.

Adding a Shutter to a Thrift Shop Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
 The shutter was almost the exact size of the glass shelf I removed from the wall.

Adding a Shutter to a Thrift Shop Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
 This little shelf has a much more rustic vibe like the rest of my bathroom decor.

Adding a Shutter to a Thrift Shop Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
As you can see, I have a little spackling compound to touch up with wall paint, but making this little shelf was easy.  No sawing required!

Adding a Shutter to a Thrift Shop Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com

Vintage Rustic Decor in a Small Bathroom www.organizedclutter.queen.blogspot.com
I still have the old hangers on the walls, some enamelware, 

Vintage Rustic Decor in a Small Bathroom www.organizedclutter.queen.blogspot.com
A printer's drawer, old round griddle and an antique mirror.  


Vintage Rustic Decor in a Small Bathroom www.organizedclutter.queen.blogspot.com
This little rustic 3/4 bathroom was decorated inexpensively with mostly thrifted finds!







Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. Carlene - love your creation! It looks great in your bathroom. Very clever!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute shelf, Carlene. Looks perfect in your already cool bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So charming, Carlene...loving this little bath of yours. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your style! That is a great idea for a shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just loving this. The wire/wooden hanger make great wall art along with the shelf with the wire soap dish. I want that! I'm crazy about enamel pans and I never thought to put them in a bath. You did a great job of photographing the reflection of the mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is a 3/4 bath? I am guessing that it lacks a tub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you decorated your little bathroom! I agree with Jane...it is so charming.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shutter shelf is so much better than the glass shelf. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shutter shelf--very clever, Carlene. I also like the vintage hangers as wall decorations. I just bought a bagful in various shapes and sizes...I might just have to go there--

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.