An Up-cycled Thrift Shop Shelf

October 12, 2014
This is a thrift shop shelf that I purchased for $2 recently.


 First I painted a base coat of black paint.

Next I brushed on two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Cream.

After distressing the shelf with sandpaper, I tore three pages out of a vintage dictionary, and decoupaged them on the page underside only to the top of the shelf.  I ripped the pages around all four edges.  Then I coated the shelf with Polycrylic.  I liked the way it darkened the dictionary pages and the paint too.  It gave it some age.  This was the first time I used ASCP in cream, and the first time I used poly instead of wax.  

I found these miniature knobs on sale at Jo Ann Fabrics last month for 40% off.  I added two of them to the bottom points of the shelf.  The screws that came with the set were too short so I had to find screws long enough to go through the wood.

 This is the up-cycled shelf from the top,

And here it is from the side with the knobs on the bottom points.

Torn Book Pages on Up-cycled Shelf www.organizedclutterqueen.blogspot.com
 I think I will be hanging this shelf in my foyer after it is painted next month!













Thanks for reading my blog, Carlene

Sharing is caring

Receive my Posts and Newsletters to your Email


Comment with Facebook

Comments

  1. Nice shelf! I'm looking for a shelf to use as a 'faux' mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlene - what a darling transformation! Great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your shelf turned out! It is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I respond to most comments by email unless anonymous or no reply blogger. I also have a facebook comment box.
By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Your privacy is important to me.